Tuesday, February 23, 2010

February 28th

Hi ward! I hope everyone is enjoying their week. This coming Sunday will be a Fast Sunday to help us prepare for stake conference. Please share ways that help you to prepare for fast sunday, and how to keep your mind focus on the true purpose of fasting.

"President Ezra Taft Benson has also told us that we should use wisdom in our fasting, break the fast with light eating, keep our physical work to a minimum, and couple the fast with prayer and meditation. If we do, the fast “can help clear up the mind and strengthen the body and the spirit.” (
Ensign, Nov. 1974, pp. 66–67.)

Fasting—A Gift of Joy
By Sheryl Condie Kempton

3 comments:

  1. I think about fasting often since it is a vital principle taught to me by my parents. I still remember at the age of 12 being asked by my parents to fast for a particularly important decision. We all knelt down and prayed for guidance upon the matter. My father taught us to think often upon what we had prayed for and my Mom reminded us to have purer thoughts than usual for the duration of the fast. I have strived to keep true to these principles and I feel that it better helps me to prepare for my fast. Also i feel that i receive more promptings through out the day as I meditate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Humph. February goes by so fast! When I first heard that we had to fast twice in this short month, I have to admit, I was kind of dreading it. I love food. It's a true story. :) but I also love the Lord. I especially love the quote posted above because it reminds me what fasting is really about. I like the idea that fasting without a purpose is just starving your self. I'd rather not starve myself. And to think of all the good fasting can do to yourself and to others. It clears our body and our mind and in that way, it helps us come closer to God. This is a small and simple thing but it knits us together in unity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll tell you what works best for me to "keep my mind focused on the true purpose of fasting.: Most of the time there really is something in my life or in someone else's life that needs some divine help pretty badly. So I just think about that vital thing and it brings me back to taking my fast seriously.

    ReplyDelete